Search

Monday, September 14, 2009

Twitter: My New Favorite Thing

For the longest time I thought Twitter was pointless. In my head it was people spouting gibberish in 160 characters or less. Since most people on Twitter lack followers, I assumed they were all just wasting their own time, talking to no one in particular. Compound all of this with the fact that most Twitter users are fairly old, and I just figured that it was a user-friendly social network for people who didn't want to set up the time to sign onto another social network.

Then I discovered a few things:

1) Twitter is an incredibly useful device for media personalities and celebrities to connect with fans in an interesting way. For instance, if you are a follower of football, you probably read Peter King on SI.com or watch Adam Schefter on ESPN. However, they also maintain Twitter accounts and send out numerous messages, particularly when events are going on. I watched the Thursday night opening season kickoff between Pittsburgh and Tennessee, and both King and Schefter were sending out messages full of analysis and injury updates. It sounds cliche, but it really did add to the game experience. I also like the Dave Matthews band, and a fan group called Ants Marching sends out a message every time they play a song on their tour, so people can see what they are playing.

2) I am one of those people with too much time on my hands.

3) I enjoy talking to myself, and broadcasting my useless thoughts to no one in particular. Otherwise, what am I doing with this blog?

The twittering may even be good practice for when I have a job and a career and may have something worth saying. As for now, it kills time and makes me feel less worthless.

Now I just need to get people to follow my worthless comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment